The UK’s top 20 fish and chip restaurants have been revealed today as part of the 30th anniversary National Fish & Chip Awards, organised by Seafish.
Shortlisted as semi-finalists for the Fish and Chip Restaurant of the Year Award – one of 15 categories in the 2018 National Fish & Chip Awards – the 20 shops will now compete for a place in the final and the chance to clinch the title of ‘UK’s best fish and chip restaurant’.
Hailing from across the UK, the 20 restaurants in what are considered to be the ‘Oscars’ of the fish and chip industry are:
- Catch Seafood in Halifax, West Yorkshire
- Craft & Harbour in Ayr, South Ayrshire
- Eric’s Fish & Chips in Thornham, Norfolk
- Fish ‘n’ Fritz in Weymouth, Dorset
- Food in the Park in Blair Atholl, Perthshire
- Longsands Fish Kitchen in Tynemouth, Tyne and Wear
- Poppie’s Fish & Chips in Camden, London
- Poppie’s Fish & Chips in Soho, London
- Tailend in Dundee, Angus
- Tailend in St Andrews, Fife
- The Atlantic in Redruth, Cornwall
- The Cod’s Scallops in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
- The Fish Factory in Worthing, West Sussex
- The Fishermans Wife in Whitby, North Yorkshire
- The Pelican in Barnstaple, Devon
- The Rembrandt Restaurant in Norwich, Norfolk
- The Scallop Shell in Bath, Somerset
- Trenchers Restaurant in Whitby, North Yorkshire
- Upstairs at No1 Cromer in Cromer, Norfolk
- Whitby’s Fish & Chip Restaurant in Rotherham, South Yorkshire
To reach this stage of the competition, the 20 restaurants have been assessed against a wide variety of judging criteria, including menu development and innovation, responsible sourcing policies, staff training and development processes, and marketing and promotional activity.
Over the coming weeks, judges will make unannounced visits to respective restaurants to undertake mystery dining assessments. This next stage of competition judging will whittle down the shortlist and establish the top five fish and chip restaurants that will compete for the overall national title to be presented at the 30th anniversary awards ceremony.
Marcus Coleman, Chief Executive at Seafish, said: “With the popularity of fast casual dining on the increase, the fish and chip restaurant experience has now come up to par with the traditional fish and chip takeaway, and we are seeing a whole host of innovative and forward thinking outlets come to the fore.
“The rigorous judging process behind this award ensures that not only the quality of the fish and chips being plated up is of the highest standard, but that the restaurants are offering customer dining experiences that are second to none.
“The top 20 restaurants should be extremely proud of their achievements and I congratulate them all.”
Award sponsor Alan Pearce, Field Sales Manager at Goldensheaf, added: “As the UK’s leading batter mix producer, with a heritage of over 60 years, we can identify with the importance of being recognised as a quality performer within the fish and chip industry.
“This award category rewards those that provide an outstanding fish and chip dining experience for their customers, while continually striving to improve their standards and diversify their offering. We congratulate the 20 restaurants in reaching this stage of the competition and wish them the best of luck in the next round of judging.”
The winner of the Fish and Chip Restaurant of the Year Award will be announced at The National Fish & Chip Awards’ 30th anniversary ceremony in London on 25 January 2018.
For more information visit www.fishandchipawards.com or follow @FishnChipAwards #FishnChipAwards.