2019 National Fish & Chip Awards – Fish and Chip Shop of the Year Award – UK Top 20 Judging Draw
The draw to determine the respective shops that will be judged against one another for the next judging stage of the Fish and Chip Shop of the Year Award, as part of the 2019 National Fish & Chip Awards, was undertaken at 11am on Monday 20 August 2018.
Allocating a number against the name of each individual Top 20 shop prior to the ‘free draw’ (with numbers 1 to 20 being allocated against shop names when listed alphabetically), the numbered balls were placed into ‘the draw hat’, and the draw was conducted by Nick and David Miller, owners of Millers Fish & Chips of Haxby, North Yorkshire, the reigning UK champion shop in this award category, with proceedings being adjudicated over by representatives from Seafish and the National Federation of Fish Friers (NFFF).
The results of the draw were:
· Winyates Chippy, Redditch, Worcestershire will compete against Olley’s Fish Experience, Herne Hill, London
· Sidney and Sons Fish and Chips, Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire will compete against Harbour Lights, Falmouth, Cornwall
· Mister C’s, Selby, North Yorkshire will compete against Silverfin’s Traditional Fish & Chips, Newry, County Armagh
· Papa’s Fish and Chips, Hull, East Yorkshire will compete against Captain’s Fish and Chips, Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire
· Krispies Fish & Chips, Exmouth, Devon will compete against Shillingfords, Neath, West Glamorgan
· Frydales, Leicester, Leicestershire will compete against Lows Traditional Fish & Chip Shop, Westhill, Aberdeenshire
· Papa’s Fish and Chips, Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire will compete against Frydays of Kendal, Kendal, Cumbria
· Golden Carp Chippy, Redditch, Worcestershire will compete against Dolphin Takeaway, Dungannon, County Tyrone
· The Crispy Cod, Tonyrefail, Rhondda Cynon Taf will compete against Poppies Fish & Chips, Soho, London
· Angel Lane Chippie, Penrith, Cumbria will compete against The Fish Hoose, Thornton, Fife
Filmed footage of the draw can be seen at https://bit.ly/2PqBIOP
The resultant two shops competing against each other will now be assessed by the same judging assessor and the appointed assessor will conduct a detailed and in-depth judging audit of respective shops, including assessment of both front and back of house aspects of each business and the mystery tasting/testing of products. These shops will be visited by the respective assessor on an unannounced date, at any time between 21 August and 7 September inclusive. This judging stage will determine the overall Top 10 shops in the UK that will progress to the national final judging stage to be held in London in January 2019.
The National Fish & Chip Awards Team