Britain’s Cod Talent?
Who will be our National Fish & Chip Awards Champion?
The 2020 National Fish and Chip Awards are now open for entry. Marcus Nikki and Andy have enjoyed a little rest but are now ready willing and excited to start the hunt once again.
The process which takes over nine months to crown the winners is the largest promotional platform for the UK’s 10,000 fish and chip shops and gives all finalists the chance to market themselves to a local national and even international audience!
Here at Chippy Chat we dedicate over the year over 50 pages both online and in the magazine to the awards and Isle of Ely Produce are a proud sponsor of the Field to Frier Award.
BUT WHY ENTER THE AWARDS?
Celebrating the great tradition of fish and chips, the annual National Fish & Chip Awards showcase the best talent, quality and choice offered by fish and chip businesses across the UK. Rewarding excellence, the awards also put successful businesses on the map, via regional and national media coverage. Now in their 32nd successful year and recognised as one of the most prominent and respected seafood industry events in the UK, the awards have come to be regarded as the ‘Oscars’ of the fish and chips world.
Established in 1988, the awards, organised by Seafish, continue to support the wider fish and chip industry by:
• Rewarding individual excellence in a range of different award categories.
• Playing a role in raising quality standards and providing a benchmark for all fish and chip businesses to aspire to.
• Entering the awards can also add excitement in motivating staff to be the best.
• Providing a robust platform from which to undertake a wide variety of media activity promoting the fish and chip sector and its many diverse facets, and to encourage the continued consumption of fish and chips among both the UK population and visitors to the country.
Entering the awards is easy and the accolade of being judged one of the best fish and chip businesses in the UK can have an enormous positive impact on business.
Media activity undertaken by Seafish in relation to the awards generates fantastic publicity for both participating businesses and the wider fish and chip sector.
Across the award categories, various judging rounds culminate at a prestigious awards ceremony in London in January where all the award winners are announced.
This year’s worthy champions Krispies of Exmouth are approaching mid-way of their crowning year and are continuing to show just why they came out on top of all the shops that entered in 2019.
Save the Date!
The All-Important Dates & Entry Details!
Planning which awards you enter will make it easier for you to make up your minds which awards are for you. The main award closes in June as does the Young Fish Frier. If you are planning to enter these then you will need to start planning sooner rather than later.
The respective closing dates for the submission of completed entries to the various award categories are:
• Fish and Chip Shop of the Year Award 30 June 2019
• Drywite Young Fish Frier of the Year Award 30 June 2019
• Best Multiple Fish and Chip Operator Award 30 June 2019
• Fish and Chip Restaurant of the Year Award 31 July 2019
• Best Mobile Fish and Chip Operator Award 31 July 2019
• Good Catch – The Sustainability Award 31 July 2019
• Best Newcomer Award 31 July 2019
• Seasonal UK Seafood Award 31 July 2019
• Staff Training and Development Award 31 August 2019
• Menu Development and Innovation Award 31 August 2019
• Marketing Innovation Award 31 August 2019
• Best Foodservice Operator Award 30 September 2019
• From Field to Frier Award 30 September 2019
• NFFF Quality Award ‘Champion Award’ 30 September 2019
• Best Seafood Week Campaign Award 31 October 2019
HOW TO ENTER
You can also keep up to date with all the latest awards news via
The 2020 awards open for entry from 1 May 2019 – and entries can be submitted at https://fishandchips.awardsplatform.com