• 01353 865966
  • Translate

Home Forums CATCH OF THE DAY Stay or leave the EU?

This topic contains 38 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Peter Huzzey 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author

robin maxey
    Participant

@cheery 94221 wrote:

Well, if nothing else they won’t be able to hide behind the VAT ruling from Brussels. In my numerous letters to my MP, the Treasury and No11, they all state that they can’t do anything about VAT as it is imposed by the EU. That is correct, but the level can be set by individual countries.

As for the European arrest warrant supporters shout about, we had and still have Interpol for that purpose. International security? That is the purpose of NATO.

Istated these things in a recent trade magazine and I have not changed my mind since. I’m out.

I Am Voting Out…… VOTE OUT

robin maxey
    Participant

@Sheddy 94222 wrote:

I was still in short trousers when we joined the EEC, so thinking back doesn’t work. With regards to EU legislation, the UK Government levies higher carbon tariffs on our electricity and steel producers for burning coal than the Germans do. Do you really think scrapping our ties to EU legislation will suddenly mean that we will all stop paying Climate Change Levy, VAT on hot food, etc?
    In my opinion, many people who have been persuaded to vote to leave have been given unrealistic hopes.

Philip Hall

O NO THERE NOT lol

robin maxey
    Participant
    grumps;94233 wrote:
    close the borders then our own people will have to work but with our own control we can give work permits if needed not just open borders

yes yes yes your so right grumps

robin maxey
    Participant

@Sheddy 94230 wrote:

Sorry mate, but I really don’t think that the “We used to be better off before” argument carries any weight. So much has changed in 40+ years that there is no way we could expect to go back how it was in the early 1970s. China is successful because it has a massive pool of cheap labour, we don’t have that.
    What will happen to the price of potatoes if EU farming subsidies are withdrawn?

Philip Hall

NO Comment: https://youtu.be/BNQ3itmFug8

Marcus French
    Marcus French
    Participant

I have asked a few Farmers and they say they would like to come out of the EU, but will vote to stay in as they will be better off. The NFU support to stay in too.

Cihan Oktem
    Participant

We can be convinced either way, depending on what we read and see. It’s very complex and not a simple decsion to make. After all, most don’t know what the EU does for us, and certainly they CANNOT know what it will be like if we leave… you can dream and say the borders will be under control and this and that, but really there are much bigger issues than our borders. If you don’t take the time to look, you will never see.

There is not as far as I have found, an independent report on the pro’s and con’s in order for me to make a decision, so at the moment I am undecided while I look at both sides in more detail. If you make an uninformed decsion then you are not deciding, you are following a crowd of sheep without knowing if they are walking towards a cliff edge because it is easier than standing up for yourself.

Turks.

GRUMPS
    Participant

@Turks 94276 wrote:

We can be convinced either way, depending on what we read and see. It’s very complex and not a simple decsion to make. After all, most don’t know what the EU does for us, and certainly they CANNOT know what it will be like if we leave… you can dream and say the borders will be under control and this and that, but really there are much bigger issues than our borders. If you don’t take the time to look, you will never see.

There is not as far as I have found, an independent report on the pro’s and con’s in order for me to make a decision, so at the moment I am undecided while I look at both sides in more detail. If you make an uninformedin decsion then you are not deciding, you are following a crowd of sheep without knowing if they are walking towards a cliff edge because it is easier than standing up for yourself.

Turks.

Those of us old enough to remember what it was before we entered and the changes that have been made under the rules of the EU are well aware of the difference and I for one welcome the chance to leave and make our own dissision
    We have people that were never elected by us telling us what to do one example is Neil Kinnock never voted as P.M. Lost his seat in the election but sites in Brussels making laws for us to follow

Cihan Oktem
    Participant

Grumps, the way it was before wouldn’t work today… it’s long gone. You need to look forward and what is best now for the UK and how that fits with the demands of society and the rest of the world.

Turks.

GRUMPS
    Participant

@Turks 94278 wrote:

Grumps, the way it was before wouldn’t work today… it’s long gone. You need to look forward and what is best now for the UK and how that fits with the demands of society and the rest of the world.

Turks.

The whole point is we will be able to deal with the rest of the world better then we can now.
    And all this scare mongering that we can’t is rubish because others need to deal with us just as much as we need to deal with them.
    And if any doubt about success outside the EU look at the sales China has done to the world!!

GRUMPS
    Participant

Just imagine joining all the other shops in your town and then everybody telling you how to run your business
    Do you think your business would benefit or would suffer

Cihan Oktem
    Participant

@grumps 94279 wrote:

The whole point is we will be able to deal with the rest of the world better then we can now.
    And all this scare mongering that we can’t is rubish because others need to deal with us just as much as we need to deal with them.
    And if any doubt about success outside the EU look at the sales China has done to the world!!

You cannot at all compare us to China. We cannot come close to what they can offer as has already been said in this thread. They have a huge cheap labour pool, very poor standards of work / living etc. which all mean they can bust out a product much cheaper than we ever could.

In fact, we don’t really have much to offer as trade or export compared to a lot of Countries in EU and beyond.

I’m not saying however that we would have any problems striking trade deals etc. – I’m just saying, i’m not sure that we probably have more import than export and our closest neighbours will be the ones we turned our backs on… so I can’t imagine those deals to be very good.

Turks.

Cihan Oktem
    Participant

@grumps 94280 wrote:

Just imagine joining all the other shops in your town and then everybody telling you how to run your business
    Do you think your business would benefit or would suffer

Totally depends. If for doing so, I get consistency, a share of their labour when i’m short staffed, a helping hand if my business slows down, and discounted raw materials because together our purchasing power is larger, then maybe it isn’t so bad.

If a guy then turns around and says he wants his own independent chippy in the town, can you imagine our joint group of chippies making it very easy for him? Can you imagine that it will be easy for him to break-out of the deal? Will customers go to that guy for their fish and chips or will they go to the joint group because the product is more stable and consistent?

Turks.

GRUMPS
    Participant

@Turks 94282 wrote:

Totally depends. If for doing so, I get consistency, a share of their labour when i’m short staffed, a helping hand if my business slows down, and discounted raw materials because together our purchasing power is larger, then maybe it isn’t so bad.

If a guy then turns around and says he wants his own independent chippy in the town, can you imagine our joint group of chippies making it very easy for him? Can you imagine that it will be easy for him to break-out of the deal? Will customers go to that guy for their fish and chips or will they go to the joint group because the product is more stable and consistent?

Turks.

They will go to the shop that gives them the best deal

GRUMPS
    Participant

We’re not turning our back on Europe just don’t like being dictated to by them
    I can’t imagine you joining forces with other shops and being told you can’t sell pies because the shop across the road does

Cihan Oktem
    Participant

How did you feel about Scottish when they wanted to be ‘out’?

I’m certain that Europe are looking at us thinking the same right now.

Turks.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.