• 01353 865966
  • Translate

Home Forums CATCH OF THE DAY Stay or leave the EU?

This topic contains 38 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Peter Huzzey 3 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #62799

    Peter Huzzey
    Participant

    Anyone got any thoughts on how leaving the EU could impact our businesses? Fish prices, taxes, workforce, other costs?

    #113125

    GRUMPS
    Participant

    @huzz456 94217 wrote:

    Anyone got any thoughts on how leaving the EU could impact our businesses? Fish prices, taxes, workforce, other costs?

    A lot will depend on what the government does when we leave the EU
    When we can take charge of our own laws make our own rules and regulations and control our borders as it is at the moment other countries and making rules that we have to abide by not necessarily to our benefit

    #113126

    Philip Hall
    Participant

    @grumps 94218 wrote:

    A lot will depend on what the government does when we leave the EU
    When we can take charge of our own laws make our own rules and regulations and control our borders as it is at the moment other countries and making rules that we have to abide by not necessarily to our benefit

    In regard to law making, do you really think that someone in Whitehall will risk diluting legislation? If health & safety rules are there to protect us all, I find it unlikely that someone will take the risk of saying, “Well we can do away with that.” I suspect that Brussels red tape will be replaced by the home grown variety. I’m just using H&S as an example, but I suspect that most rules will be treated similarly.

    I think I am voting to remain in.

    Philip Hall

    #113127

    GRUMPS
    Participant

    @Sheddy 94219 wrote:

    In regard to law making, do you really think that someone in Whitehall will risk diluting legislation? If health & safety rules are there to protect us all, I find it unlikely that someone will take the risk of saying, “Well we can do away with that.” I suspect that Brussels red tape will be replaced by the home grown variety. I’m just using H&S as an example, but I suspect that most rules will be treated similarly.

    I think I am voting to remain in.

    Philip Hall

    Think back before we joined the EU and how much better off we were we traded with the world
    The EU have put more and more restrictions on what we can do. I am for taking back control and spending our money the way we want not supporting other countries.

    #113128

    cheery
    Participant

    Well, if nothing else they won’t be able to hide behind the VAT ruling from Brussels. In my numerous letters to my MP, the Treasury and No11, they all state that they can’t do anything about VAT as it is imposed by the EU. That is correct, but the level can be set by individual countries.

    As for the European arrest warrant supporters shout about, we had and still have Interpol for that purpose. International security? That is the purpose of NATO.

    Istated these things in a recent trade magazine and I have not changed my mind since. I’m out.

    #113129

    Philip Hall
    Participant

    @grumps 94220 wrote:

    Think back before we joined the EU and how much better off we were we traded with the world
    The EU have put more and more restrictions on what we can do. I am for taking back control and spending our money the way we want not supporting other countries.

    I was still in short trousers when we joined the EEC, so thinking back doesn’t work. With regards to EU legislation, the UK Government levies higher carbon tariffs on our electricity and steel producers for burning coal than the Germans do. Do you really think scrapping our ties to EU legislation will suddenly mean that we will all stop paying Climate Change Levy, VAT on hot food, etc?
    In my opinion, many people who have been persuaded to vote to leave have been given unrealistic hopes.

    Philip Hall

    #113130

    john oxford
    Participant

    @Sheddy 94222 wrote:

    I was still in short trousers when we joined the EEC, so thinking back doesn’t work. With regards to EU legislation, the UK Government levies higher carbon tariffs on our electricity and steel producers for burning coal than the Germans do. Do you really think scrapping our ties to EU legislation will suddenly mean that we will all stop paying Climate Change Levy, VAT on hot food, etc?
    In my opinion, many people who have been persuaded to vote to leave have been given unrealistic hopes.

    Philip Hall

    Yes but DAVID CAMERON told us that if we leave, a pair of socks will cost more !
    If we leave EU then VAT will probably be replaced by a sales tax as in the States. I have been a Tory voter for nearly 60 years, but no more. When Maggie ran the country she would handbag the idiots then along came Teflon tony and gave it all away. I am for leaving because we then control our own country because what DC says he has re-negotiated is fictional and is not enshrinable in law. As for Corbin he would give in to whoever has the biggest deterrent, Russia, so that does not leave me with much choice as to what I vote for, does it. I will be mindful of the legacy I might leave the younger generation before I vote.

    #113133

    Philip Hall
    Participant

    I think to be fair to both sides, people with a political agenda will often say whatever the focus groups tell them will gain a larger share of the vote. We just then re-iterate those points according to our persuasion.

    Philip Hall

    #113134

    Imran Raza
    Participant

    I know the SNP want to stay and I understand their reasons but I think out is better personally.

    I personally think the one glove fits all rule isn’t right for such a large and diverse set of countries. With laws and currency.

    I think the EU was a great idea and I’d still like to see freedom of movement and free trade in Europe but I think the EU politicians and rule makers go greedier and greedier and more and more power hungry. Nothing will change if we don’t make it change ultimately.

    Same reason I believe in an independent Scotland.

    #113135
    Marcus French
    Marcus French
    Participant

    I do know that the EU is bloated and costs a lot to run, but it is better to be in it than an outside with no way to change things. If we leave it will be years of haggling and we do not know what surcharges we may have to pay to deal in the EU. Our relationship with fellow members of NATO may change too. I see we could not follow a Russian sub, in our waters, because we did not have enough ships. We had to ask for help from the French. Will the joint ventures in ships and aircraft tecnology still go ahead. It is a big unkown. Better what we have than the unknown. We could still leave later. We will not be allowed back again if we leave now.

    #113136

    GRUMPS
    Participant

    @french-frys 94228 wrote:

    I do know that the EU is bloated and costs a lot to run, but it is better to be in it than an outside with no way to change things. If we leave it will be years of haggling and we do not know what surcharges we may have to pay to deal in the EU. Our relationship with fellow members of NATO may change too. I see we could not follow a Russian sub, in our waters, because we did not have enough ships. We had to ask for help from the French. Will the joint ventures in ships and aircraft tecnology still go ahead. It is a big unkown. Better what we have than the unknown. We could still leave later. We will not be allowed back again if we leave now.

    We can’t change things while we are in we are under the control of the EU.
    We will be able to deal with everyone in the world ask China they don’t belong the EU
    The EU needs us more than we need them so they will deal with us. If they make surcharges to us we will do the same to them and they sell more to us than we do to them
    Interpol is there for criminal activities. We can still work with NATO
    Don’t believe the scare tactics used by the in campaign.
    Believe me were were better of before we joined can’t you remember

    #113137

    Philip Hall
    Participant

    @grumps 94229 wrote:

    We can’t change things while we are in we are under the control of the EU.
    We will be able to deal with everyone in the world ask China they don’t belong the EU
    The EU needs us more than we need them so they will deal with us. If they make surcharges to us we will do the same to them and they sell more to us than we do to them
    Interpol is there for criminal activities. We can still work with NATO
    Don’t believe the scare tactics used by the in campaign.
    Believe me were were better of before we joined can’t you remember

    Sorry mate, but I really don’t think that the “We used to be better off before” argument carries any weight. So much has changed in 40+ years that there is no way we could expect to go back how it was in the early 1970s. China is successful because it has a massive pool of cheap labour, we don’t have that.
    What will happen to the price of potatoes if EU farming subsidies are withdrawn?

    Philip Hall

    #113138

    GRUMPS
    Participant

    H@Sheddy 94230 wrote:

    Sorry mate, but I really don’t think that the “We used to be better off before” argument carries any weight. So much has changed in 40+ years that there is no way we could expect to go back how it was in the early 1970s. China is successful because it has a massive pool of cheap labour, we don’t have that.
    What will happen to the price of potatoes if EU farming subsidies are withdrawn?

    Philip Hall

    We could use the money we give to the EU to subsidies farming we probably give £1-20 to the EU for every £1 we get back in subsidies

    #113139

    Philip Hall
    Participant

    I’m quite sure we give more than £1.20 in for every £1 we get back out, but then will our farmers be at a disadvantage compared to their EU subsidised neighbours. Especially with the £9 an hour they will have to pay in a few years.

    Where I live, we used to have gang labour turning up daily from areas where employment opportunities were scarce (Rotherham, Mansfield, etc.) but they could only work four days a week because they had to go and sign on on one day. Then, at the turn of the millennium, first Portuguese then subsequently Polish migrant labour came to work in our food factories. Wherever you go in the UK, we seem to rely on foreign labour, so I have genuine concerns about closing our borders.

    #113140

    GRUMPS
    Participant

    @Sheddy 94232 wrote:

    I’m quite sure we give more than £1.20 in for every £1 we get back out, but then will our farmers be at a disadvantage compared to their EU subsidised neighbours. Especially with the £9 an hour they will have to pay in a few years.

    Where I live, we used to have gang labour turning up daily from areas where employment opportunities were scarce (Rotherham, Mansfield, etc.) but they could only work four days a week because they had to go and sign on on one day. Then, at the turn of the millennium, first Portuguese then subsequently Polish migrant labour came to work in our food factories. Wherever you go in the UK, we seem to rely on foreign labour, so I have genuine concerns about closing our borders.

    Close the borders then our own people will have to work but with our own control we can give work permits if needed not just open borders

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.