THE UK’S BEST FISH & CHIP SHOPS HAVE BEEN NAMED!
Full List of Winners of The National Fish & Chip Awards 2019
Krispies Fish & Chips from Exmouth, Devon are frying high as they celebrate netting the enviable title of the UK’s best fish and chip shop at the National Fish & Chip Awards 2019, organised by Seafish. Owned and operated by husband and wife team Tim and Kelly Barnes, Krispies beat off competition from hundreds of prospective winners to clinch the title, which has led to previous champions doubling their turnover in the twelve months following the announcement.
Second place went to Captain’s Fish and Chip in Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire, while Low’s Fish & Chips in Aberdeen came third.
The full list of winners for each of the 12 additional award categories are:
- Best Newcomer Award: Fish & Chips @ Weston Grove, Upton, Chester
- NFFF Quality Award ‘Champion’ Award: Blacks Finest Fish & Chips, Halton, Lancashire
- From Field to Frier Award: Papa’s Fish & Chips, Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire
- Good Catch Award: Frasers Fish & Chips, Penzance, Cornwall
- Staff Training and Development Award: Krispies, Exmouth, Devon
- Marketing Innovation Award: Nana Jan’s Buckshaw Village, Chorley
- Fish and Chip Restaurant of the Year Award: Trenchers Restaurant, Whitby, North Yorkshire
- Top Foodservice Operator Serving Fish and Chips: The Little Brown Jug, Tonbridge, Kent
- Best Seafood Week Campaign: Quayside Restaurant & Fish Bar, Gourdon, Aberdeenshire
- Healthy Eating ‘Fish and Chips’ Award: Harbourside Fish & Chips, Plymouth, Devon
- Best Mobile Fish and Chip Operator Award: Dodson’s Fresh Catch, Morley, Leeds
- Drywite Young Fish Frier of the Year Competition: Lauren Kellaway, Kellaway’s Fish and Chips, Truro, Cornwall
The National Fish & Chip Awards is a UK-wide competition celebrating true excellence in the fish and chip industry. Hailing from across the country, entrants are judged on far more than just the fish and chips. Sustainability, menu innovation, catering for special dietary requirements, customer service and marketing are all part of the package of what makes an award winning fish and chip shop. These 13 winners consistently demonstrated they excel in all of these areas throughout an intensive eight month judging process, which includes multiple mystery shop visits and numerous other assessments across the respective categories.
Marcus Coleman, Chief Executive Officer at Seafish, said: “The National Fish & Chip Awards has been raising the bar in the industry for 31 years now, and we know how much it means to operators to win what is a famously tough competition. Securing one of the 13 award titles can be transformative for a business and each of the winners should be incredibly excited for what’s in store for them in the weeks and months to come. Congratulations to them all, thoroughly deserved.”